Book Review: Why Small Business Owners Must Read Scott Fox's E-Riches 2.0

e-Riches2

If you're new to the online marketing game, Scott Fox's e-Riches 2.0 is the primer you need in your back pocket.

Shortest review ever: Scott Fox's new book e-Riches 2.0 gives terse, smart advice for navigating through a web 2.0 world.

Target audience: In my mind, small business owners and entrepreneurs will get the most out of this book. But it's also great for MBA students and, shall we say...more seasoned executives.

Price: $16-$25 (Amazon is the cheapest I've found).

Time to read: 20 train commutes, plus a few short weekend sessions.

Must-read chapter: "Welcome to the blogosphere" gives an unusually cautious (and correct) overview with the tough advice you don't normally hear about business blogging.

Reasons You Need This Book

Scott does a great job of giving a complete once-over about online marketing today. Publisher's Weekly get it correct with their assessment:

"The book is aimed at absolute newbies, so while experienced Internet users may find this too basic, it will be a godsend to those who are intimidated by the digital revolution."

So, why do I think small business owners have the most to gain from this book? It's got practical advice for people who know their business, but can't keep up with every trend in the online marketplace. Scott mentioned things you'd only learn from experience - both facts and philosophy - which is great for folks still figuring it out.

It explains where to go and what to do to grow your business. 'Nuff said.

Most importantly, Scott is an advocate for action. He cuts to the chase with advice like this:

"So what's keeping marketers out of the blogosphere?

Fear.

...I agree with and understand all of those concerns about blogging and other social marketing strategies. The problem is that they are not sufficient excuses to delay playing a more active role online." [Emphasis mine.]

Sure, many marketers on the cutting edge will already know 95% of what this book contains (and that's OK - the book isn't aimed at you). Whether it's worth it for the other 5% is up to you - I did garner some nice gems, personally.

Less Aspiration, More Inspiration

Any complaint I have with e-Riches 2.0 is niggling at best.

But, one of the reasons I didn't read Scott's first book and hesitated on the second is because of the cover design. They feature aspirational images that look more suited for timeshare advertisements.

The title and cover image evoke the "instant internet millionaire" days of years past. Don't let that trip you up - this isn't a get rich quick book. (If that's the "advice" you want, you're reading the wrong blog.)

Personally, I think he'd be better suited with a staid, confident design found on other marketing/web 2.0 hits like Groundswell or Join The Conversation. But then again, I'm not in the target audience, nor a designer, so what do I know.

What Do You Think?

I thought e-Riches 2.0 was a perfect introduction into social media marketing, especially for busy small business owners. The learning curve is steep, but with a guide like Scott, you will have everything you need to succeed.

Have you read e-Riches 2.0? What did you think? Comments are welcome below.

P.S.: If you enjoyed this review, you might also like my recent review of Paul Gillin’s Secrets of Social Media Marketing; Goldstein, Martin, and Cialdini's Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways To Be Persuasive; and my most recent review - David Meerman Scott's World Wide Rave.

tweet thisTweet This Post!

*

If you enjoyed this post, consider signing up for free updates via email or RSS. Otherwise, I hope you share it on digg, StumbleUpon, or the other social media tools found below.